Saturday, January 6, 2007

As most of you know, I am a HUGE animal lover. I would do anything for an animal. I've gotten into arguments, and have actually hit someone for harming an animal in my presence. I even screamed at a child for hurting a baby bird. I had the kid in tears. Brat deserved it too....

Anyhoo. I am a member of the Best Friends Animal Rescue in Kanab, Utah. Its run by a great guy named Michael Mountain. I get their magazine that comes out every three months or so and I always has the latest updates in the animal world, good and bad.

The last edition featured "The Great Bunny Rescue". A lady (i cant remember where) started out with just a couple of bunnies that she had in her back yard. Unfortunately she didnt think to get them spayed and neutered. And we all know what happens with bunnies right?? Uncontrollable breeding!

There were over a thousand bunnies in this ladies back yard. And a lot of them were sick and dying, and they were still breeding. It took weeks and tons of volunteers to rescue all these bunnies. Some didnt make it, but a lot of them did. They neutered the males, and spayed the females that werent preggers. They were given medical treatment if needed, and a lot of them were placed in homes. But there are still a couple hundred that need homes. They were placed in the Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary.

The point to this post?? Well Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary is kinda small and they just took close to two hundred bunnies and they need help. Even if its a bale of alfalfa hay, or five bucks it would be useful. And Best Friends is also in need of donations. Or, if you dont have money, but have time both facilities could use volunteers if you live in the area. The rabbit sanctuary is in Whittaker, MI, and Best Friends is in Kanab, Utah.

Best Friends is one of the largest no kill animal shelter in the United States. You should all check out their website. They do awesome work there. One of these days Im gonna take a vacation in Utah and volunteer there for a few days.

What I would love to do is hold a fund raiser, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. Has anyone ever held an online fundraiser before?? If so, let me know okay??Oh, before I forget, here are the web address of the facilities: www.bestfriends.org and www.rabbitsanctuary.org

2 comments:

fineartist said...

Cool idea Pearl, unfortunately I have managed to get myself in a financial pickle right now, I have no idea how it happened either, and of course the banks wont be open until monday so I can't figure it out until then...

What I'm trying to say is it's going to take me a while to be able to donate but it's a stellar idea!

xx, Lori

Sassy said...

I can't stand people who hurt animals. If you aren't an animal lover, something is wrong. I'll check out the site.